The recycling fee in Europe in most cases does not exceed 100 euros, these costs are covered by the car manufacturer or dealer.
From the first of September the government of Ukraine started to collect a salvage fee for imported foreign cars. The government declares the good purpose – care about the environment. The dealers in their turn assure that the law is crude and the utilization fee is just another barrier for imports. As a result the consumer will pay for everything, foreign cars will go up in price by 5,5 thousand UAH, and the possibility of creation of transparent recycling business in the country is close to zero.
Scrap car removal richmond has been working successfully for a long time. As a result, infrastructure has been created, enterprises of this branch bring profit and create workplaces, and the amount of fee is practically invisible for a consumer.
1. The scrappage fee for passenger cars in Europe, as a rule, does not exceed 100 euros and is most often included in the price of the car by the manufacturer. At the same time, the recycling fee is levied in few countries. In most, it is replaced by an environmental levy, which is paid by the owner for using a car that does not meet environmental standards.
2. Worldwide, the recycling industry provides 1.5 million jobs and scraps more than 35 million vehicles annually. In Europe, about 10 million cars are scrapped annually, and the average age of a car is less than ten years.
The standard structure of the recycling network in the world includes: a network of collection points (accepting cars, issuing certificates); a network of dismantling facilities (collecting technical fluids, oils, fuel residues, removing parts for reuse, dismantling of large polymeric parts, wheels, etc.); and shredders. ); shredding plants (shredding, paint and rust removal, separation of wastes: black, non-ferrous metal, plastics, fabrics, glass); recycling and processing plants (metallurgical, chemical).
3. There were 313 shredder plants operating in the EU at the end of 2010. The average cost of one shredder – $20 mln. Lobbyists of recycling fee in Ukraine said that construction of one plant in Ukraine will cost 7 mln. euros and it will take about two years. According to calculations of Bogdan Corporation, 7 enterprises for dismantling cars and 191 centers for processing/shredding of body and other parts should be created in Ukraine.
4. In EU countries by 2015 95% of materials (from weight) must be recycled, only 10% can be incinerated and only 5% – buried. Today, all cars sold in Europe must be 85% recyclable and 95% recyclable. Thus, no more than 20% of the total weight of the car remains unfit for further use. Up to 15% of all smelted metal is from scrap from car recycling.
5. $250 billion is the value of products made from recycled cars. Their recycling is a profitable business. Service companies sell spare parts and parts. Secondary raw materials (ferrous, non-ferrous and precious metals, plastics, glass, and textiles) are sold to the metallurgical and chemical industries. The capacity of the recycling market of Ukraine is estimated by the authors of the laws in 2,5 billion hryvnias.
6. In many countries, when a car is taken for recycling, the last owner is paid a reward. This practice became widespread during the crisis of 2009. The world’s automobile companies, dated by the government, paid bonuses for old cars in exchange for new ones with a surcharge. In Germany, in 2009 they paid 2,500 euros for an old car. The government spent 5 billion euros on the scrappage program. Russia has launched the program “Money for scrap cars”, having spent on it 36 billion rubles (about $1.1 billion).
In Ukraine there is no compensation for owners of old cars yet. According to market representatives, First Deputy Prime Minister of Ukraine Sergei Arbuzov has allegedly instructed to launch the program “money for scrap cars”. The amount of compensation may amount to about 12.5 thousand UAH for a used car. However, it is still a mystery from which funds this bonus will be paid.
7. In 2009, China had an “Old Car for New Car” program and in 2010 a “Cash for Junk” program. In 2010 alone, the Chinese government issued 6.41 billion yuan ($1 billion – ed.) in subsidies to buyers of new cars. The China Recycling Association said in a report that the country had to dispose of 7.42 million cars at the end of last year, which had used up their resources, but only 500,000 fell under the press. According to the inspection, almost 92% of the cars that should have been sent for recycling were resold on the black market.
8. Honda analyzed the scrappage data for its cars in the U.S. market. The age of use was 7 years. Almost all of the stripped parts were sold for parts at a profit to the scrapping firm. The average age of the Ukrainian car fleet today is 18 years old.
9. The Netherlands has implemented the most successful system of recycling cars. The average recycling rate here reaches 90%. There are 300 collection points and enterprises for dismantling, 12 shredder plants are created. The recycling fee is 45 euros and it is paid when registering the car. The owner does not pay anything when scrapping a car – the fee is covered by the automaker or dealer. The tax is levied when selling a new car. When the car is deregistered, a certificate of disposal, or exportation, must be provided. Otherwise, the car owner continues to pay car tax.
10. In France there is a fine of 75 thousand Euros and even two years imprisonment for an unusable car that has been left in the street. Every owner of such a car is obliged to deliver it
for disposal to an authorized recycling center (there are 1600 such centers in the country). The same penalty is stipulated for recycling in unauthorized places and by unauthorized agencies. The network of specialized centers for disposal of vehicles is created by automakers (at the rate of seven centers per 1.5 million people).
11. 11. In Germany, the manufacturer puts an amount for recycling (100 euros) in the cost of each car. The end-user can surrender a used vehicle free of charge, and a certificate of recycling is issued in return. If the car is taken directly to a recycling center, a premium of 100-150 euros is paid. There are 15000 vehicle collection points, 1200 dismantlers and 47 shredders. The system recycles 74,000 vehicles annually.
12. In Belgium, the recycling fee for cars is laid down in the so-called “road tax”. It is calculated according to the volume and power of the car engine. Each year the car owner pays the road tax according to the following formula: 799 cc – 84 euros, 800-2499 cc – 148 euros and from 2500 cc – 208 euros.
13. Annual turnover in the U.S. auto recycling industry is $20 billion. 20,000 pickup locations and dismantlers for used cars work in the country, as well as 200 shredders that recycle up to 60,000 cars.
The U.S. market annually recycles 95% of old cars. Cars are ahead of newspapers (74% recycled), aluminum cans (51%), glass bottles (22%) and consumer electronics (10%).